Summary of New Offers
This morning we discovered four new Amex Offers for Marriott/SPG-brand hotels that can save you money over the next few months. These new Amex Offers are:
- Courtyard – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Fairfield – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Springhill Suites – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Four Points – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
For details about Amex Offers and how to use them, see our Resource article, Amex Offers Explained.
Details of the New Amex Offers – Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill Suites, and Four Points
The details of these four new offers are extremely similar:
- Each is for a specific brand of Marriott/SPG hotel – Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill Suites, and Four Points
- To redeem each one, spend at least $200 at a US location of the specific brand in the United States, and receive a $40 statement credit
- Each offer expires on 1/31/2019
- For each offer, reservations must be made direct through marriott.com or the specific brand’s website, or by calling the Marriott reservations line at 1-888-236-2427
The Offers for Courtyard, Fairfield, and Springhill Suites seemed to be widely targeted and were available on all (or virtually all) of our Amex Membership Rewards-earning cards, such as the Platinum and Gold cards, the Blue Business Plus, and our EveryDay cards (including AU cards). The Offer for Four Points seemed to be more narrowly targeted. Of 4 family members’ cards that I checked, only 2 people had this Offer, both on Blue Business Plus cards. I did not have the Four Points Offer on any of my own Amex cards.
The Offers were not available on any of our Amex SPG co-branded cards, which was a shame as those would generate the best points-earning returns and are thus the cards we’d normally use for stays at Marriott/SPG-branded properties.
The Offers say that they are only valid on room rate and room charges and that gift card purchases are excluded. However, we have previously purchased physical gift cards in person on-site at a Courtyard property that have triggered Amex Offers (and we have also done this at other Marriott-family properties). Thus, we would expect that this would continue to work with the current Amex Offers, if you can find a hotel with gift cards available on-site.
We are not aware of any Membership Rewards (MR)-earning versions of these Offers.
The basic terms and conditions of each Offer are as follows:
Recap of Other Current Amex Offers for Hotels
We also wanted to take this opportunity to recap all of the other current Amex Offers for hotels, in hopes that we can help you save even more money on upcoming stays!
Here are three Offers that expire between now and December 15, which we reported on in our article, Save Money on Hotels! Catching Up on 11 Current Amex Offers:
- InterContinental Hotels – $100 statement credit when you spend $500 (exp. 11/30/18)
- Crowne Plaza Hotels – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (exp. 11/30/18)
- Caesars properties – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (exp. 12/15/18)
Next, there are two active Offers for Hilton-family properties, which we reported on in our article, New Amex Offers for Hilton-Family Hotels – Waldorf, Conrad, Hilton, Curio & Canopy:
- Waldorf Astoria & Conrad Hotels – $70 statement credit when you spend $350 (exp. 1/31/2019)
- Hilton (specific brand), Curio Collection & Canopy Hotels – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (exp. 12/31/2018)
Here are five more recent Offers, which we reported on in our article, 5 New Amex Offers to Save Money on Hotels – Luxury Collection, Hyatt Place/House, MGM Resorts, La Quinta, One Night App:
- One Night app – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (exp. 12/22/2018)
- La Quinta hotels – $20 statement credit when you spend $100 (exp. 12/31/2018)
- MGM Resorts – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (exp. 1/7/2019)
- Hyatt Place & Hyatt House – $60 statement credit when you spend $200 (exp. 1/1/2019)
- Luxury Collection hotels – $75 statement credit when you spend $375 (exp.1/31/2019)
We somehow neglected to post about this nice targeted Amex Offer for Ritz-Carlton hotels:
- Ritz-Carlton hotels – $100 statement credit when you spend $500 (exp. 12/24/2018)
And finally, here are three more active Offers, which we reported on in our article, 3 New Amex Offers to Save Money on Hotels – Omni, DoubleTree, AmexTravel.com:
- Omni Hotels & Resorts – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (exp. 2/28/2019)
- DoubleTree hotels – $45 statement credit when you spend $225 (exp. 1/31/2019)
- AmexTravel.com – 6,000 Amex Membership Rewards (MR) points (or perhaps $60 statement credit) when you spend $350 on a pre-paid hotel booking (expires 12/31/2018)
Additional Thoughts and Analysis
As far as we know, these new Marriott/SPG Offers are subject to Amex’s recent one-Offer-per-person limitation. That said, if you have cards in multiple people’s names, you should be able to use the Offers multiple times for a single stay by splitting the payment at check-out. For example, Philly and I both have Amex cards with the Offer for Courtyard hotels. If we had a Courtyard stay that cost more than $400, we could put at least $200 on my enrolled Amex card and another $200 or more on her enrolled Amex card, and thereby get 2 statement credits. In this example, you’d save $80 off a $400 stay, bring your total down to $320 and saving you 20%!
Also remember that if your bill is close to the spend threshold, you’ll save money if you purchase something else to bring your total up to an amount that will trigger the Offer. For example, if your bill at a Courtyard hotel would be $180, go to the hotel gift shop and buy something for $20 to bring your total to $200, then pay with your enrolled Amex card to trigger the credit. That way, you’ll get your $20 item for “free” and pay only $160 instead of $180 for your stay.
We hope you can take advantage of these Amex Offers to get additional value on your upcoming hotel stays!
Will you use these Amex Offers to save money on your hotel stays? Where will you be staying? Please share with us and other Middle Age Miles readers in the Comments!
We hope that our analysis of these new Amex Offers for hotels will help you save money on your next trip! At Middle Age Miles, we’ll always help you get the most value for your travel dollar, and Amex Offers are certainly one tool in our bag of tricks. To get more of our insights on how to save money on your hotel stays, please Like and Follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!