Southwest is advertising a “Cyber Monday” sale, but the sale actually runs through Thursday this week (November 29). This sale appears to be nationwide in the US (including Puerto Rico), but we’re not seeing any international destinations at first blush.
In addition, you should be able to stack the “Cyber Monday” sale with the Cyber Week promotion from Southwest Vacations to get the sale fare plus an additional $125 off of a domestic flight + hotel package! Or, if you’re planning to travel internationally, you can use the Southwest Vacations Cyber Week promo to save $250 off of an international flight + hotel package.
The links to Southwest’s regular site and the specific pages for the fare sales are here:
Link to Southwest “Cyber Monday” fare sale page (actually runs through Thurs 11/29)
Details & Analysis
Southwest’s “Cyber Monday” sale appears to be a US nationwide sale (including Puerto Rico). Key details are:
- Must purchase by Thursday, November 29, at 11:59 pm in the time zone of the originating city
- 14-day advance purchase required for Continental U.S. travel
- Continental US travel dates: December 10, 2018, through May 22, 2019
- Continental US blackout dates: December 21-23, December 26-27, December 29-30, January 1-2
- Continental US travel not valid on Fridays and Sundays
- Travel to Florida and Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays
- Travel to/from Puerto Rico is valid January 14 through February 28, 2019, and April 23 through May 16, 2019.
- Travel to/from Puerto Rico is valid only on Mondays through Thursdays
- Sale fares may be available on other days of the week, but that’s not guaranteed
- Other restrictions apply – see full terms and conditions (below) for more details
Stack with the Southwest Vacations Cyber Week Sale
Southwest Vacations also has an ongoing Cyber Week sale:
- $125 off US flight + hotel packages with the promo code SAVE125DOM
- $250 off international flight + hotel packages with the promo code SAVE250INT
- Booking is from now through December 3
- Travel dates are from now through June 7, 2019
The Southwest Vacations Cyber Week sale overlaps with Southwest’s “Cyber Monday” sale. It appears that if you book flights that qualify for the “Cyber Week” sale as part of a flight + hotel package, you should get the benefit of the sale fares, plus you should be able to apply the domestic promo code SAVE125DOM to save an additional $125 off of your package. This could make for a very useful double-dip to save you money on a US vacation this Winter or Spring!
Other Important Considerations
In addition to booking new flights with this sale, remember to check any existing Southwest reservations to see if they have decreased in price. If the price has dropped, you can either cancel and re-book at the new price, or select change your flight and then re-book to the same flights with the new lower price.
Under Southwest’s generous cancelation and change policies, if you cancel before your flight, you will receive Southwest credit for your previous fare, which you can then use to re-book. Similarly, if you change and then re-book to the same flights, you will receive credit for the difference in price (whether in dollars or Rapid Rewards miles). Southwest does not impose any fees for canceling or changing future flights. However, note that travel funds (such as the credit for canceling and re-booking at a lower fare) expire 12 months from the original ticket purchase date.
Until very recently, there was a huge advantage to cancel-and-re-book as opposed to changing, in that if you changed your flight, it would lock in the reservation and become non-refundable going forward. Now, however, flights remain refundable if a change is made to the reservation.
When you book your Southwest flights, be sure to use a credit card that maximizes your points earning for airfare, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve (referral link), the Amex Personal Platinum (referral link), the Citi Prestige or Premier, or the US Bank Altitude Reserve.
Sample “Cyber Monday” Fares
For a sampling of the fares in Southwest’s “Cyber Monday” sale (again, remember that this sale is not just available today; it extends through Thursday 11/29), we took a look at flights from our local Southwest hub, Dallas Love Field (DAL). One-way flights are as low as $65 to Oklahoma City.
Here are all the advertised fares from DAL:
Full Terms and Conditions of the Southwest “Cyber Monday” Sale
Here are the full terms and conditions of the Southwest “Cyber Monday” sale:
Will you be taking advantage of Southwest’s “Cyber Monday” fare sale? Where are you going? Can you stack it with the Southwest Vacations Cyber Week sale for a flight + hotel package? Please share with other Middle Age Miles readers in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we’re here to save you money and get you great value on your travels. To see great fare sales like this one from Southwest and all of our other travel value insights, please Like and Follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!