We haven’t done an article on Amex Offers for hotels recently, so we wanted to give you a new-year recap of active Amex Offers for hotels. We love to use these offers to save money on our travels. In addition, we can almost always stack Amex Offers with discounted rates (and sometimes Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings) to get even more value for our travel dollar. And finally, we’ve sometimes even purchased hotel gift cards that triggered Amex Offers to preserve the savings for later stays.
If you’d like a refresher on Amex Offers and how to use them, see our Resource article, Amex Offers Explained.
In this article, we’re just recapping the currently-active offers quickly to remind you to use them if possible. So, we’re not going over all the details. Remember that most Amex Offers are good at US properties only, and remember that the express terms of most of them require you to have made your booking direct with the hotel chain. The terms of most Offers exclude gift cards,; however, we have previously purchased physical gift cards in person on-site at hotels that have triggered Amex Offers (including Marriott GCs at Courtyard and Hilton GCs at Waldorf Astoria, which have current Offers).
Currently-Active Amex Offers for Hotels
Here are the currently-active Amex Offers for hotels:
- The Luxury Collection Hotels (Marriott/SPG) – $75 statement credit when you spend $375 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Waldorf Astoria & Conrad – $70 statement credit when you spend $350 (expires 1/31/2019)
- DoubleTree by Hilton – $45 statement credit when you spend $225 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Courtyard by Marriott – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Fairfield by Marriott – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Four Points by Sheraton – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott – $40 statement credit when you spend $200 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Hampton by Hilton & Hilton Garden Inn – $40 statement credit when you spend $175 (expires 1/31/2019)
- Omni Hotels & Resorts – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (expires 2/28/2019)
- Country Inn & Suites and Park Inn hotels – $20 statement credit when you spend $100 (expires 5/14/2019)
- Tripfuel.com – a Priceline company – $50 statement credit when you spend $200 (up to 3 times) (online only) (expires 6/3/2019)
- Note that the Tripfuel offer is a special case because it is a third party booking service. You should not expect to earn loyalty program points or receive elite benefits if you book through Tripfuel. In addition, their rates may not be as good as you can get by booking direct. In other words, this is potentially useful in some circumstances, but be careful with it.
We are not aware of any corresponding Membership Rewards (MR) points-earning Offers, for any of these, except for the Offer for Hampton & Hilton Garden Inn. On that one, we have an Offer for 4,000 MR points when you spend $175, on one of our Amex Business Platinum cards.
Note that most of these Offers expire at the end of January, so use them quickly for your upcoming hotel stays if possible!
All of these Offers appear to be subject to Amex’s one-Offer-per-person limitation. That said, if you have cards in multiple people’s names, you should be able to use the Offers multiple times for a single stay by splitting the payment at check-out. We have done this repeatedly with Amex Offers, with success, including on a very recent stay at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
For example, Philly and I both have Amex cards with the Offer for Courtyard hotels. If we had a Courtyard stay that cost more than $400, we could put at least $200 on my enrolled Amex card and another $200 or more on her enrolled Amex card, and thereby get 2 statement credits. In this example, you’d save $80 off a $400 stay, bringing your total down to $320 and saving you 20%!
Also remember that if your bill is close to the spend threshold, you’ll save money if you purchase something else to bring your total up to an amount that will trigger the Offer. For example, if your bill at a Courtyard hotel would be $180, go to the hotel gift shop or market, and buy something for $20 (charged to your room) to bring your total to $200, then pay with your enrolled Amex card to trigger the credit. That way, you’ll get your $20 item for “free” and pay only $160 instead of $180 for your stay.
We hope you can take advantage of these Amex Offers to get additional value on your upcoming hotel stays!
Will you use one or more of these Amex Offers to save money on a hotel stay? Where will you be staying? Please share with us and other Middle Age Miles readers in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!