Late last week, we saw several good new Amex Offers for Hilton-family properties. We wanted to be sure to highlight these new Offers so you can save money on upcoming Hilton stays.
We love to use Amex Offers to save money on our travels. And beyond the savings in the Offers themselves, we can almost always stack Amex Offers with discounted rates (and perhaps even Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts bookings) to get even more value for our travel dollar. In addition, we’ve sometimes even purchased hotel gift cards that triggered Amex Offers, to preserve the savings for later stays.
If you’d like a refresher on Amex Offers and how to use them, see our Resource article, Amex Offers Explained.
In this article, we won’t linger too much on the details of each Offer. But remember that these Amex Offers are good at US properties only, aside from the notable exception of the Offer for Hilton brand hotels in Mexico). Also, remember that the express terms of the Offers require you to have made your reservation direct through a Hilton booking channel. The terms of the Offers exclude gift cards; however, we have previously purchased physical gift cards in person on-site at Hilton-family hotels that have triggered Amex Offers (including at Waldorf Astoria, which has a current Offer).
In addition, we haven’t done a recap of all of the current Amex Offers for hotels in a few weeks. We’ll have a separate article very soon to recap all of the other non-Hilton Amex Offers for hotels, to get everyone all caught up on all of the available Offers. We felt like the Hilton Offers were significant enough for their own stand-alone article.
Hilton-family Hotels – Current Amex Offers
There are lots of good Amex Offers for Hilton-family hotels, many of which recently appeared late last week. We’re seeing:
1 – Hilton Hotels & Resorts (specific brand) – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (expires 5/30/2019)
2 – Homewood Suites & Home2 Suites – $50 statement credit when you spend $250 (expires 5/31/2019)
3 – DoubleTree by Hilton – $45 statement credit when you spend $225 (expires 5/31/2019)
4 – Hilton brand hotels in Mexico – $100 statement credit when you spend $500 (expires 5/31/2019)
5 – Waldorf Astoria & Conrad – $100 statement credit when you spend $500 (expires 6/30/2019)
6 – Hilton Garden Inn – $30 statement credit when you spend $175 (expires 6/30/2019)
7 – Hilton brand hotels in Hawaii – $200 statement credit when you spend $1,000 (expires 6/30/2019)
Thoughts and Strategies on Amex Offers for Hilton-family Hotels
General Terms, Observations & Point-Earning
- All of the Offers, except for the Offer for Hilton brand hotels in Mexico, are valid in the US & US Territories only.
- Advance purchase and non-refundable rates do not qualify, according to the terms & conditions.
- We have not seen any corresponding Membership Rewards-earning Offers for any of these statement-credit Offers.
- As long as you book direct, these Offers will stack with Hilton’s regular points-earning and elite benefits. In addition, stays through May 5 will stack with bonus points offered under the current Hilton Honors Points Unlimited promotion.
- We are pretty sure that the Offers for “Hilton brand hotels” in Mexico and Hawaii will be triggered by stays at any Hilton brands. The words of the terms and conditions aren’t quite as clear as we’d like. Hopefully we’ll see a data point to confirm our expectations on this.
Which Amex Cards Should I Use?
- We found the Waldorf Astoria/Conrad and Hawaii Offers on our Hilton Aspire card and loaded them there.
- If you have an Offer on the Aspire and the Aspire’s $250/year resort credit is still available to you, these should stack if the hotel is on the 226-property Hilton “resort” list (and most if not all Waldorf Astoria and Conrad hotels, including the Grand Wailea on Maui, are on the Hilton “resort” list).
- We loaded the Mexico Offer to a Platinum card, which doesn’t have foreign transaction fees. All other Offers were found on and loaded to our Blue Business Plus cards.
Stacking Opportunity in Hawaii
- The Hawaii Offer, combined with the other brand-specific Offers, appears to present a nice stacking opportunity. Again, we’d like to see a successful data point, but we’re pretty sure that both Offers would be triggered by a single purchase, where the Offers overlap.
- We ran a quick search on the Hilton website for Hilton properties in Hawaii, and we came up with 20 results. At least 8 of them squarely overlap with brand-specific Offers:
- Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo – a DoubleTree by Hilton
- Hilton Waikoloa Village
- Grand Wailea, a Waldorf Astoria Resort
- The Grand Wailea is one of Middle Age Miles’ very favorite hotels in the world, and we can’t wait to get back there soon!
- Hilton Waikiki Beach
- Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
- Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay
- In addition, there are several other Hilton Grand Vacations or other resort properties that appear to be branded so that they overlap and you could double-dip (again, subject to confirming data points) (all are Hilton-branded unless otherwise indicated):
- Kings’ Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
- Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
- Ocean Tower by Hilton Grand Vacations
- Ocean Tower at Hilton Waikoloa Village
- Ho’olei at Grand Wailea (Waldorf Astoria)
- Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations
- The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations
- Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village
- Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations
Stacking Opportunity – 2 People with Amex Offers
- If you have 2 people with Amex Offers on your cards, you should be able to split payment to take advantage of the Offers twice (assuming that your total charges are sufficiently high to trigger both Offers). Taking this to the extreme, consider a $2,000 stay at the Grand Wailea, where Philly and I split the payment to put $1,000 on my Amex card and $1,000 on hers. In that scenario, we should trigger:
- $200 statement credit on my card from the Hawaii Offer
- $100 statement credit on my card from the Waldorf Offer
- $200 statement credit on her card from the Hawaii Offer
- $100 statement credit on her card from the Waldorf Offer
- This would give us $600 in total credits and drop our price down to $1,400 – a 30% discount
- And note that we’d be earning Hilton Honors points for our stay based on our entire bill – plus points from the Points Unlimited promotion if we stayed before May 5
- And finally, you’d earn Hilton points (or Amex MR) on the $1,400 in net charges by paying with your Amex card (it’s beyond the scope of this article, but in fact you’d earn additional Hilton points on the $600 that you’re receiving back as statement credit, too, if you’re paying with an Amex Hilton Aspire, Ascend, or no-fee co-branded card).
Will These Offers Work on Amex FHR Bookings?
- Where there’s overlap, it may also be possible to stack these Offers with Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) bookings and benefits. We realize that this technically violates the “direct booking” requirement of the Offers. But FHR stays are typically charged by the hotel, not by Amex (assuming they’re not advance-payment reservations). And FHR stays at Hilton-family properties earn Hilton points and elite night credits, and you receive Hilton elite status benefits. Our best guess is that you could indeed trigger the Offers by using your enrolled Amex card to pay on-property for a stay booked through FHR.
- We see 3 Hilton-family properties in Hawaii listed on FHR:
- Grand Wailea
- Ho’olei at Grand Wailea
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
We hope that you’ve found this article helpful to remind you about the current Amex Offers for Hilton-family hotels and help you think about how to maximize them. And if you get a chance, definitely find a way to stay at the Grand Wailea on Maui!
Will you use these Offers, especially in Hawaii? Do you have any additional data points that you can share with us, particularly on the stacking opportunities we’ve identified? Please let us know in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!