Summary of the Deal
British Airways recently started a nice promotion that awards double base Avios for flights booked between now and April 19, and flown between now and December 31.
You must register for the promotion before booking your flights. The promotion is good for up to six one-way or round-trip flights.
In addition, if you book and complete at least six qualifying one-way or round-trip flights, you will receive an additional reward of another 2,019 bonus Avios.
If you’re not already a British Airways Executive Club member, you can join and register for the promotion using code DAWW19.
Here’s a link to the landing page for the promotion, which also contains the full terms and conditions in a drop-down section at the bottom of the page:
You can check how many Avios you can earn on a particular flight, including Avios to be earned through this promotion, by using the BA Avios flight calculator:
Details, Terms & Conditions
As discussed in the summary above, the key details are:
- Register before you book
- Book between March 21 and April 19, 2019
- Fly by December 31, 2019
- Earn double base Avios (described as 100% bonus Avios)
- The bonus is on base Avios only – NOT on cabin or tier bonuses
- Good on up to 6 qualifying flights
- A qualifying flight can be either one-way or round-trip
- If you book and fly 6 qualifying flights, receive additional 2,019 Avios
The biggest “catch” to this promotion is that prior bookings will not qualify for the promotion – only bookings made from March 21 through April 19.
Otherwise, the terms and conditions seemed pretty straightforward and the promotion applies broadly.
- Qualifying flights are:
- A paid fare on a BA-marketed and BA-operated flight
- Any flight included as part of a BA Holiday package
- A BA prefix (BA-marketed) on a transatlantic flight operated by BA, American Airlines, Iberia or Finnair between Europe and North America
- Domestic flights within the UK and southern Africa operated by Comair, Sunnair and CityFlyer
- The following promotional and discounted fares do not qualify:
- Reward flight bookings or upgrades using Avios
- Travel agent or industry discounted fares
- Group discounted fares
- Child/infant fares
- Senior citizen fares
- You must include your BA Executive Club number in your reservation in order to receive the bonus Avios
- Bonus Avios will post to your Executive Club account after each flight has been taken (presumably along with your regular Avios earning for the flight)
Stacking with Other BA Discounts
BA has two discounts available to many of us in the US, and both of them should stack with this promotion:
1. British Airways AARP Discount
The British Airways AARP discount gives AARP members a discount of up to $200 on BA flights booked through the BA AARP link.
- Our recollection was that this discount was a flat amount of $65 for economy class and $200 for business class
- However, we don’t see those amounts listed on the BA AARP site any longer
- And when we tested a random JFK-LHR economy class round trip this morning (including 1 checked bag), the fare using the AARP discount seemed to be $122 less than the fare without the discount ($584 instead of $706)
- So, we’re not entirely sure how the BA AARP discount is working now – but if our random test is indicative, it may be better than ever before
- The BA AARP discount also applies at British Airways Holidays, using the promotional code AARP2019, with savings amounts as follows:
- $60 off when you spend $1,200-1,499 per person
- $100 off when you spend $1,500-2,099 per person
- $200 off when you spend $2,100+ per person
2. Chase BA Visa 10% Discount
The Chase British Airways Visa card has a 10% discount (through 3/31/2020) with the promo code CHASEBA10. There’s also a promotional website, www.ba.com/Chase10.
- This discount is valid on one-way or round-trip tickets (including open-jaw round trips)
- Travel must originate in the US
- All flight segments must be on BA
- This promotion is supposed to apply only when holding and using the Chase BA Visa card; however, there are reports of it working with other Chase Visa cards
Is It a Good Deal?
If you’re going to be flying BA and would credit your mileage earning there, then what’s not to like? It’s extra Avios for doing what you’d do anyway – and in that sense it’s an absolutely great promotion.
Unfortunately, we probably won’t take advantage of this promotion personally. We already have one flight booked on BA during the promotional period. But, (a) the promo wouldn’t apply to this pre-existing booking; and (b) we’re crediting our flights to AA anyhow, to try to re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. We have one other flight potentially planned for 2019 that could possibly be booked on BA, but there too, we’d presumably be crediting to AA.
Can you use the BA “100% bonus Avios” promotion? Where will you be traveling? Please share with us and other Middle Age Miles readers in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!