In July 2019, Middle Age Miles spent a spectacular and exciting 11 days in Switzerland & France. The Switzerland portion of the trip focused on exploring the remarkable Swiss Alps and enjoying the spectacular views there, while the France portion fulfilled a bucket list item by taking us to 2 stages of the Tour de France cycling race.
This trip presented a rare opportunity for Philly and me to travel with oldest Middle Age Miles son Zack and his wife Erin. Zack & Erin have traveled extensively, from the time they both did a college semester abroad in Australia and throughout their adult lives. They have about 40 countries under their belts, but they’d never been to Switzerland together. And one of our Swiss destinations, Mt. Pilatus, was a place that we had loved, and Philly especially wanted Zack & Erin to visit it.
Once we chose our dates – bridging the 4th of July holiday, to help those who have full-time jobs (that is everyone besides me!) get the most vacation time with the fewest days off – we then realized that the Tour de France would be in eastern France during the last few days of our scheduled trip. All of us, save for Erin, are huge Tour de France fans, so this presented quite an amazing opportunity for us. We adjusted the last few days of our expected itinerary to jump over into France, to see the world’s greatest cycling race, and one of its greatest sporting events.
Finally, we all ended up flying home from Paris, which gave us a unique chance to spend a night at the lovely Waldorf Astoria Trianon Palace in Versailles.
Here are the additional articles we expect to publish in this Trip Report. We’ll add links below, as the articles are posted. We hope you enjoy our Trip Report, Swiss Alps & the Tour de France:
- Swiss Alps & the Tour de France – Our 11-Day Itinerary
- Swiss Alps & the Tour de France – How We Booked & Got Great Value
- Lounge Review – The New AA Flagship Lounge at DFW Terminal D
- Flight Review – 777-200 Business Class on BA from DFW to London
- Hotel Review – H+ Hotel, Zurich
- Power and Majesty – A Visit to the Rheinfall
- Things to See in an Afternoon in Lucerne
- Hotel Review – The Hotel Lucerne, Autograph Collection
- A Cogwheel Train, Bobsled Rides, and a Spectacular Mountain – A Day on Mt. Pilatus
- Hotel Review – Hotel Pilatus-Kulm, the Hotel at the Summit
- Things to See on a Drive Through Central Switzerland
- Hotel Review – Hotel Bellevue des Alpes, Kleine Scheidegg
- Tips for Visiting Jungfraujoch & Standing at the Top of Europe
- Fondue and More Amazing Race Sites in Zermatt
- Visiting the Matterhorn – Zermatt & Gornergrat
- Airbnb Review – A Beautiful Penthouse in Zermatt
- Quick Visits to the Swiss Cities of Montreux, Bern and Basel
- The Charming French Town of Colmar
- Tips from Rookies on Attending the Tour de France
- Rental Cars in Europe – Lessons Learned
- Hotel Review – Waldorf Astoria Trianon Palace in Versailles
- A Morning Run Through the Grounds & Gardens of the Palace of Versailles
- Welcome Pickups – Our Favorite Car Transfer Service in Europe
- Lounge Review – Cathay Pacific Business Lounge, CDG Airport
- Flight Review – 787-900 Dreamliner Business Class on AA from Paris to DFW
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!