Summary of the Promotion
From today (Monday, September 9) through January 5, 2020, earn double Hilton Honors (HH) base points on stays at Hilton-family properties. If you hold a Hilton Honors co-branded credit card from Amex and use it to pay for your stay, you’ll earn even more – triple HH base points!
You must register before you check out of your stay in order to earn the bonus points for that stay.
Register for the Hilton Honors “Power Up” promotion here:
- Hilton Honors: Landing page for the “Power Up” promotion
There’s also a FAQ page for the “Power Up” promotion, which you can access here:
- Hilton Honors: FAQ page for the “Power Up” promotion
Additional Details of the Promotion
This promotion is straightforward – earn double (2x) base points for all stays during the promotion period after you register for the promotion, or triple (3x) base points if you hold an Amex Hilton co-branded card. The 3x rate should automatically attach to your account when you register for the promotion if you hold an eligible card and use it to pay for your stay – nothing else that you have to do.
Base point earning at most Hilton-family hotels is 10 points per dollar, so at most properties this promotion will earn you an extra 10x HH points per dollar of spend if you don’t hold an Amex Hilton card; an extra 20x HH points per dollar if you do. At our baseline value of 0.5 cents per HH point, that’s an additional points rebate of 5% for non-cardholders and a very sweet 10% for cardholders. Only Home2 Suites and Tru hotels have a different points earning rate, at just 5 base points per dollar, so the promotion is worth less there (additional 2.5% points rebate for non-cardholders and 5% for cardholders).
These earnings are in addition to your regular points earning, any elite status bonus points, any other applicable promotions, and the earnings from your credit card spend. For example, if you’re a HH Diamond member paying with an Aspire card (at any brand other than Home2 Suites and Tru), you’d earn:
- 10x base HH points per dollar
- 20x bonus HH points per dollar from the Power Up promotion
- 10x bonus HH points per dollar as a Diamond elite bonus
- 14x HH points per dollar from your Aspire credit card spend
That’s a total of 54x HH points per dollar on your stays – a points rebate of about 27%. And you’d pick up yet another 1,000 HH points per stay as if you’ve selected points as your MyWay preferences option. That’s quite a haul!
Other notes of possible interest that we picked up from the FAQs and terms and conditions for this promotion include:
- All stays completed on September 9 or later count for this promotion, even if you checked in prior to September 9
- On the back end of the promotion, you must check out on or before January 5, 2020 – members will not receive bonus points for any stay that is completed after January 5, even if part of the stay overlaps with the promotion period
- All spend on charges to the room count toward earning bonus points, except at the following brands: Hampton, Tru, Homewood Suites, and Home2 Suites
- If you have 2 or more room reservations at the same time, bonus points are awarded on one room only (although you can earn base points on two rooms if they are paid on one folio)
- The promotion has the usual exclusions from qualifying stays, including wholesale/tour operator packages, third party website bookings (such as through Booking.com or Expedia), and “opaque” channel bookings where the brand may not be known at the time of purchase (such as Hotwire)
- It’s standard that these types of stays don’t earn HH points anyway, and they’re also excluded from this promotion
- Award stays do qualify for the promotion, if you have paid charges on your folio
Our Thoughts on the Hilton Honors “Power Up” Promotion
We love this promotion. Especially if you’re eligible for the triple-points benefit, stays at Hilton properties for the next 4 months can earn tons of points. A 27%+ points rebate is certainly at the high end of hotel points promotions!
We also like that, unlike some recent hotel promotions (including Hilton’s just-ended summer promotion, the bonus points earning in “Power Up” starts with the member’s first stay. We hope the trend of promotions starting with the second stay is coming to a swift end.
This promotion should stack with other active Hilton promotions, like a couple that we’ve written about recently:
- Middle Age Miles: Register to Earn 5,000 Bonus Hilton Points on Waldorf Astoria & Conrad Stays of 2+ Nights (Targeted?) (June 21, 2019)
- Middle Age Miles: Hilton Honors New Member Promo – Up to 7,500 Bonus Points After 2 Stays (August 15, 2019)
The “Power Up” promotion can also be stacked with the Amex Offer for Waldorf Astoria & Conrad stays that we covered this morning in our inaugural “News & Notes” article (as well as any other Hilton-brand Amex Offers that become available during the promotional period).
Personally, we’re excited to get a hot start with this promotion, given that we have a Hilton-brand stay coming up later this week! Best of luck with your own points-earning in the excellent “Power Up” promo!
What do you think of the new Hilton Honors “Power Up” promotion? How will you take best advantage of it? Please share with us and other Middle Age Miles readers in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!