It’s October 1, which means that the 4th quarter of 2019 starts today. That means it’s time to start using this quarter’s 5x bonus categories on your Chase Freedom card – Department Stores, PayPal and Chase Pay. Here are the details and our strategy for the quarter to maximize the bonus.
The Chase Freedom Visa & 5x UR Earning
The Chase Freedom Visa is a no-fee card that earns 1x Ultimate Rewards (UR) points on all purchases (1% cash back if you don’t have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred, or Ink Preferred business card).
This card is valuable, though, for one key feature – rotating 5x bonus categories each quarter. This allows us to earn 5x UR points on the designated categories each quarter, up to $1,500 in spend – that is, up to 7,500 UR points per quarter.
5x UR points earning will be best-in-class for virtually any category of spend. At our baseline valuation of 1.5 cents per UR point, that’s a points rebate of 7.5%, which is excellent.
If you’d like to take advantage of the no-fee Chase Freedom’s benefits, including a sign-up bonus of 20,000 UR points (which Chase advertises as $200 cash back) after $500 in spend within 3 months, plus the rotating quarterly 5x bonus categories, here’s our referral link:
- Chase Freedom: Apply here (Middle Age Miles referral link)
Remember that the Chase Freedom card is subject to Chase’s 5/24 rule, so you won’t be approved if you have 5 new personal credit cards within the past 24 months.
Details of the 5x Bonus Categories for 4Q19
The 5x bonus categories for the 4th quarter of 2019 (October 1 through December 31, 2019) are:
- Department stores
- Chase Pay
You must activate the bonus category offer to receive the 5x bonus. To activate your offer:
- Log in to your Chase online account
- Select your Chase Freedom card
- The display will tell you whether your “5% cash back” has been activated – if not, click through and activate your offer
The deadline to activate your 4Q19 5x bonus offer is December 14, 2019. If you activate your offer by that date, you should receive 5x UR points for all purchases in the bonus categories during the quarter.
To help you determine what qualifies for 5x earning, Chase provides some helpful descriptions, including examples of stores that *do* and *do not* qualify as Department Stores:
Note that PayPal person-to-person payment transactions are expressly *included* as qualifying for 5x bonus points.
For more information on the Chase Freedom card’s rotating 5x bonus categories and the details for this quarter, see the following pages:
Analysis and Our Strategy for the Quarter
For Department Stores and PayPal transactions, 5x UR earning is best-in-class on virtually any purchase, as it gives you an effective points rebate of 7.5%. (Same for Chase Pay, if you can find a place to use it – but we haven’t had any success with this and haven’t used Chase Pay at all in many months.
As we mentioned earlier, we also know that we can use Chase Freedom to fund PayPal person-to-person (P2P) transactions and earn 5x. PayPal P2P transactions using a credit card incur a fee of 2.9%.
With these things in mind, our strategy to maximize the Chase Freedom 5x bonus categories for 4Q19 will be:
- First, we’ll use Chase Freedom for all organic spend at Department Stores this quarter. We’ll also use PayPal, funded with our Chase Freedom card, for all organic online spend where paying with PayPal is an option.
- In mid-to-late December, we’ll assess the amount of our spend during the quarter in the Department Store and PayPal categories, see how much of the $1,500 spending cap we’ve used, and calculate how much of the $1,500 cap remains unused.
- Then, we’ll make one or more P2P transactions (probably just between Philly and me) to use up the rest of our $1,500 cap for the quarter.
- We’ll pay a 2.9% fee on this transaction, but this is still quite profitable. On each dollar transferred, we’ll pay 2.9% but receive 5x UR points. This means that we’re effectively purchasing UR points for 0.58 cents per point. Given that we can use UR points for travel at 1.5 cents per point (with our Sapphire Reserve), we’ll come out way ahead. Alternatively, even if you simply cashed out your UR points at 1 cent each, this would be a profitable transaction.
Good luck on earning your valuable 5x UR points at Department Stores and with PayPal and Chase Pay during the 4th quarter of 2019!
How do you plan to maximize the 5x bonus categories this quarter? Please share with us and other Middle Age Miles readers in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!