Introduction and Background
A few weeks ago in one of our News & Notes articles, we noted that Points.com was no longer available through the Top Cashback (TCB) shopping portal. This eliminated what we thought was the best portal option for points-and-miles purchases through Points.com.
Points.com handles the points and miles purchases for many airlines and hotels – that is, even if you go to certain airline or hotel chain websites to purchase points or miles, you’ll be redirected to Points.com, which processes the purchases. For any purchases you make of these programs’ points/miles, the charge on your credit card statement will come from Points.com.
Today, we have some good news to report: Points.com has returned to TCB. We’re not exactly sure when it came back, but we noticed its return for the first time this week.
We also continue to believe that TCB is the best portal option for purchases from Points.com.
Current Earning Rates for Points.com Purchases Through TCB
Here are the current earning rates for Points.com purchases through TCB:
Current Hotel Points Purchase Promotions
One reason that we wanted to bring this development to the attention of Middle Age Miles readers now is that there are several potentially-useful hotel points purchase promotions for chains processed through Points.com that end soon. The current promotions (some may be targeted and require log-in to see your personal offer) include:
- 100% points bonus for purchases of at least 25,000 points, with a maximum of 250,000 points purchased (500,000 points total)
- Purchase price of at least 26,000 points is 0.5 cents per point (before counting TCB cashback or any credit card rewards)
- Offer expires Sunday, December 22, 2019
- 30% points bonus for purchases of at least 2,000 points, with a maximum of 50,000 points per transaction; 100,000 points in a calendar year (all maximums are before the point bonus is applied)
- Purchase price is 0.875 cents per point (before counting TCB cashback or any credit card rewards)
- Offer expires Sunday, December 22, 2019
- 100% points bonus for purchases of at least 10,000 points, with a maximum of 160,000 points purchased (320,000 points total)
- Purchase price is 0.5 cents per point (before counting TCB cashback or any credit card rewards)
- Offer expires Saturday, December 28, 2019
- 40% points bonus for purchases of at least 5,000 points, with a maximum of 55,000 points purchases per calendar year (before the points bonus is applied)
- Purchase price is 1.71 cents per point (before counting TCB cashback or any credit card rewards)
- Offer expires Tuesday, December 31, 2019
At current TCB rates, points purchases from IHG would earn 2% cash back; purchases from Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt would earn 2.5% cash back.
Remember that Points.com does not fall into any credit card bonus categories of which we’re aware (although perhaps the B of A Cash Rewards online purchase category would work?). Thus, you’ll want to pay with a card on which you’re working toward a sign-up or upgrade bonus, or a big-spend threshold bonus. If neither of those apply, use your card with the best earnings for general spend, such as the Amex Blue Business Plus (2x Membership Rewards points), Citi Double Cash (2x ThankYou Points or 2% cash back), or Chase Freedom Unlimited or Ink Business Unlimited (1.5x Ultimate Rewards points).
All of the current hotel points purchases promotions that we covered in this article have good prices, at or near our baseline value for the points – especially when you factor TCB cashback earnings into the equation. We don’t ever recommend purchasing points speculatively, but there may be some great opportunities here if you have specific redemptions in mind where you can get more value for your points that you’d be spending to purchase them.
What do you think of Points.com returning to TCB? What are your strategies with respect to the hotel points purchase promotions? Please share your tips with us in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!