It’s been a while since we’ve seen a Visa Gift Card (VGC) or Mastercard Gift Card (MCGC) sale at Office Depot/Office Max. To our knowledge, this is the first sale of 2020.
This week’s deal is the one we’ve grown to love:
- Save $15 when you buy $300 or more in Visa Gift Cards
- The discount is applied at checkout
- The offer is good from now through Saturday, March 14
- Limit one per household/customer
- YMMV on how your OD/OM store enforces this term
We didn’t see this deal advertised, but we saw it on Frequent Miler and offer a Hat Tip to Stephen at FM for leading us to this deal.
We tested the deal today, and it worked as expected at 2 OD/OM stores near us in the northern Dallas suburbs.
Best practices for this deal are:
- Purchase 2 VGCs for $200 each
- The fee for each card is $6.95
- After the $15 savings, total cost for $400 in VGCs will be $398.90
- Pay with a Chase Ink Cash card (or an old Chase Ink Plus card) to earn 5x Ultimate Rewards (UR) points
- On your purchase of $398.90, you’ll earn 1,995 UR points
- At our baseline value of 1.5 cents per UR point, the UR points you earn will be worth about $29.92
- If you don’t have a CIC card, you can use another card that has office supply stores as a bonus category, or another card where you’re working on a sign-up, upgrade, or big-spend bonus
- Use a Payce account and enroll in this month’s in-store OD/OM offer for an additional 5% back, up to a cap of $5 per day
- Note that gift cards are excluded by the Payce terms & conditions, but we’ve had VGC purchases at OD/OM track with Payce; it can’t hurt to enroll and see what happens
Some particularly skilled manufactured spenders may find even better value in certain Visa “Everywhere” GCs.
As always, your mileage may vary as to how your local OD/OM store enforces the “one per customer” limit. Our local stores generally limit us to 1 credit per day (or per visit, if we separate our visits by enough time for a shift change). Even if your store allows you to do this deal multiple times on a single visit, you’ll need to do separate transactions to get the credit multiple times.
We’re very glad to see this deal come up again. We have plenty of limit available on our CIC cards ($25,000 limit on 5x points-earning per cardholder year), so we’re ready to buy and rack up some UR points this week!
Any other tips on this week’s OD/OM VGC deal? Please let us know in the Comments!
At Middle Age Miles, we love to bring you travel, credit card and points-and-miles information that you can use to help make your travel dreams come true. To see all of our tips and insights, please Like and follow us on social media at:
Please share and re-tweet our posts and tell all of your friends about Middle Age Miles! Thank you!