For the past several summers, Philly and I have made a week-plus trip to Europe with daughter Maria and her longtime friend Erin. The 2017 edition of our traditional summer trip took us to eastern Switzerland and southern Germany, with a special bonus stop along the way in Chicago for a birthday surprise for Maria.
We had rental cars for most of this trip, and we covered a lot of ground. Our itinerary included: Our “bonus stop” in Chicago; the magnificent Rheinfall in northern Switzerland; Lucerne; spectacular Mt. Pilatus; Lindau, Germany; Castle Neuschwanstein (Fussen/Hohenschwangau); Munich; Stuttgart; and the Black Forest.
I hope you enjoy our Trip Report, A Summer Holiday in Switzerland & Germany:
- A Summer Holiday in Switzerland & Germany – Overview
- A Summer Holiday in Switzerland & Germany – How We Did It
- A Summer Holiday in Switzerland & Germany – Our Itinerary
- The Best Birthday Present Ever – Surprise Tickets to Hamilton!
- The Amazing Race Chicago Sites and a Nice Morning Run
- Power and Majesty – A Visit to the Rheinfall
- A Cogwheel Train, Bobsled Rides, and a Spectacular Mountain – A Day on Mt. Pilatus
- Hotel Review – Hotel Pilatus-Kulm, the Hotel at the Summit
- A Bavarian Vacation Day in Lindau
- Hotel Review – Hotel Bayerischer Hof, Lindau
- Sleeping Beauty and Bavarian Kings – Castle Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau Castle, and Fussen
- Hotel Review – Hotel Villa Ludwig, Hohenschwangau
- In the Shadow of Castle Neuschwanstein – A 5 Mile Run in Hohenschwangau
- Our Own Pilgrimage to the Pilgrimage Church of Wies
- Some Sights of Munich
- Hotel Review – The Charles Hotel, Munich
- A 5 Mile Run in Munich
- The Amazing Race Sites in Eastern Switzerland and Bavaria, Germany
- How Much Gold Can Decorate One Room? Augsburg and the Golden Hall
- Hotel Review – The V8 Hotel, Böblingen (Stuttgart) – It’s All About Cars!
- The Black Forest Isn’t So Scary! – A Delightful Day of Hikes & Exploring